Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ode to Freddy


Freddy Leads us through Italy
Let me begin by assuring my family that, no, I have not reconnected with my old imaginary childhood friend whose name was Freddie (with an “I E” - as in the one from Scooby-Doo).  I must give my parents immediate peace of mind as Freddie and I used to wreak some havoc together back in the day. I’m certain the thought that he and I may be scheming again may cause my aging parents cardiac distress, and worse yet, my poor, sweet dog to tremble in fear from the grave (a long story that involves Freddie, me, my white long-haired Maltese, new furniture, and a lot of baby oil). In my defense, I was four, Freddie told me to do it, and I only wanted to make everything – including my dog – glisten…
No, this ode is to Freddy (with a “Y”) Morgan, our delightful courier.  He is French…and he totally rocks (not just because he’s French, although that earns him bonus points in my book). He does not know it yet, but we have taken a secret vote and have unanimously agreed that he must come home with us. He is, by far, the most fascinating individual any of us has ever met. 
Freddy & Rob Share a Dance
 Freddy has a Ph.D. in sociology, which he obtained in India where he wrote his dissertation on the caste system. He speaks eleven (yes 11!!) languages. He lives in Seville, Spain with his lovely wife and an adorably fat kitty (I’ve seen pictures – the cat is 20 lbs!) He paints, plays piano, and volunteers as a clown in a children’s oncology unit at the hospital where his wife is a nurse. He and his wife spend time each year in Vietnam where they started an orphanage. They take care of 30 Vietnamese children.
Not only is Freddy tremendously kind and insanely smart, but he is a riot! He amuses the students, and the four adults are encouraging him to either write a book or go on the road with his stand up comedy routine. My abdominal muscles actually hurt from laughing so hard! He kept us in stitches telling us some of the ridiculous questions people ask him while on tour. For example, the woman who asked, “Freddy, where do they put the original Eiffel Tower?” to which he jokingly responded, “In the Louvre.” Later that evening, she came storming back over to him and said, “I was at the Louvre tonight.” He thought he was going to get what for, then the woman said, “The workers there are idiots. They don’t even know where the original Eiffel Tower is!” Wow…

How the Nuns Roll the Dough...
So, I’d like to invite all of the students and chaperons to post their favorite Freddy story here as a way to say, “Thanks Freddy! You’re the best!”

7 comments:

  1. I witnessed Freddy bring an older woman, who had fallen getting off the metro and had a leg stuck in the crack between the metro and the landing and the other leg still on the metro, to safety in 10sec, just in time before the metro left. Freddy is a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freddy is full of surprises. My favorite Freddy memory was the last night we were in Italy, when we celebrated Olivia and I's birthdays! He is such a generous and thoughtful person. Freddy made a fun day even more spectacular by putting together a great birthday dinner for us, and even had gifts for us! I wasn't at all expecting such a great celebration away from home! It was one of the the most fun (and memorable) birthdays I have ever had. So Freddy- thank you for always being so helpful and nice, for the beautiful scarf, and for entertaining us throughout the trip with all your jokes! It was so wonderful getting to know you and we couldn't have had a better guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim and I have been reminiscing about our "European Vacation" every day since our return and in every discussion Freddy has been a key topic. Jennifer said it best, Freddy is one of the most interesting individuals we have had the privilege of meeting. If laughter is the best medicine, then after hearing Freddy's stories we definitely have had our "daily recommended allowance". There are so many stories to tell but the one that still makes me laugh just thinking about it was Freddy's story of having to take another tour group to the hospital and when asked if they could be helped, Freddy (in perfect comedic timing) said no! (Think weekend at Bernies!) Freddy, if your reading this, if you ever come to the states you will always have a place to stay, in Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freddy was an amazing guide! He went out of his way to celebrate Sam and I's birthdays by buying us beautiful scarves and having the resturaunt give us our dessert with candles, it was very thoughtful and kind. Freddy's hilarious jokes had me laughing all week. He always came up with something funny and his laughter is contagious, there are too many funny moments to list! Thank you so much Freddy for being an amazing tour guide, it was great hearing stories about your life and travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think I'm going to have to go with the time that Freddy stole my headband. After complimenting me on it earlier, when we were waiting in line for lunch, it disappeared off of my head. I turned around to find Freddy modeling it better than I ever could! I don't think it would've been possible to have a better tour guide. Freddy's stories and jokes always provided the best laughs and it was always amazing to hear about his life. Thank you Freddy for being such a wonderful tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freddy is truly an amazing person! I was totally astounded by all of the places he has visited, people he has met, and knowledge he has. Everytime Freddy spoke he had another amazing story, experience, or joke to share with the group. One of my favorite moments, however, was probably the first time that Freddy told the nun joke to my dinner table in Florence. I literally cried from laughing so hard. Thank you so much, Freddy, for being an incredible tour guide! I hope someday to be able to accomplish a fraction of the wonderful things you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I can pick a favorite Freddy story - there are too many! But here's one that would definitely make the top. It happened after we had hiked up this enormous hill to get the best view of Florence. After getting some pictures and catching our breath at the top, we started back down. As soon as we turned the first corner, Freddy started yelling to the people still climbing up, "Good job! You are halfway there - half an hour to go! Halfway!" I think all of our laughter might have ruined the joke...



    Thank you for such an amazing time, Freddy!

    ReplyDelete