Monday, July 25, 2011

Last Day In Paris

Today's blog will be short and sweet...it is nearly 1 AM Paris time, and I have to get up in 3 hours to catch our flight to Italy. In addition, I am in a state of mourning that my time in Paris has come to an end. I didn't even get to go shopping...how sad is that?! I have only 1 souvenir from Paris. I am distraught. I guess I will have to come back in a couple of months, right?!
Book Club inside Shakespeare & Co - Paris
Today was our big book club. I'm afraid I bored most of the girls dragging them place to place all around Paris, but they did get to have their book club in one of the most famous book shops in the world - Shakespeare and Company! I think preparing them ahead of time with the history of the shop helped them really appreciate what a big deal it is to have the honor of meeting there.
Shakespeare & Co - Paris
While touring the Jewish Quarter of the Marais, we stopped for pastries...I had to treat the girls to real Parisian pastries before they left. It is an actual crime if you don't have any while in Paris, and I certainly did not want them to be punished by the pastry police. When I went to pay, the women behind the counter told me that they were so impressed with the girls and how polite they were. They must have been genuinely impressed as they gave me my pastry "on the house!"
La Mémorial de la Shoah - Paris
Book Club Group at the Mémorial de la Shoah - Paris
The other highlight, I believe was the Mémorial de la Shoah. We had a wonderful English speaking guide named Ben who took us through the museum and did a fabulous job teaching everyone about the Holocaust in France. After that, we were all ready to lighten the mood and so we reconnected with the rest of the group for dinner and a cruise on the River Seine.
Eiffel Tower at Sunset
I don't think anyone saw, but by the end of the cruise, I was fighting back tears...I realized these were my last moments in Paris and was overwhelmed with sadness at the thought of saying goodbye to the most beautiful city in the world. 
And on this note, I must say bonne nuit or I will be a cranky little girl in the morning if I don't get some sleep. Next time I write, I will be saying buongiorno from Firenze Italia! Bring on the PASTA!
Au Revoir!

1 comment:

  1. Qu'est-ce fini merveilleux pour votre séjour à Paris. Je ne sais pas comment vous auriez pu sortir davantage de votre temps. Je suis sûr que vous allez tous prendre à Florence par la tempête, et ils ne sauront pas ce qui les frappe! :)

    ReplyDelete