Saturday, July 30, 2011

Friday, July 29

Today was exceptional for me as I got to rejoin the real world! I made my way around Rome today, but instead of walking with the group (my foot isn't quite ready for that) I went from place to place via taxi. Taxi drivers in Rome are either very brave or completely insane. I thought people in Paris drove like maniacs. They look like Amish in buggies compared to Roman drivers. Mama mia! The most comical, yet somehow impressive, sight, though, is the Italian women in designer duds and 5-inch stilettos riding around on motor scooters! I don't know how practical (or safe) it is, but they look positively stunning doing it!
We began at the church of Santa Maria della Concezione where we saw the bones of thousands of Capuchin friars - a sight I have been waiting over five years to see. Some were still whole skeletons with their brown robes covering their bones. But the majority of the bones were the decor. Seriously. The monks used the skeletal remains of their departed brethren to create the most amazing geometric shapes.  Some students found it creepy and made their way out pretty quickly. The more twisted souls  amongst our group (myself included) thought this was one of the most fascinating sights of the trip. We were not permitted to take photos, so if you don't believe me or really dig the macabre, you will have to Google it!
We then walked a few blocks to the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria, where Bill got to see the sculpture he has most wanted to - Bernini's The Ecstasy of St. Theresa. Not only was the sculpture awe-inspiring, the entire Baroque church was amazing. Even if you're not religious, you cannot help but marvel at the craftsmanship and spectacular art that adorn the churches of Italy and France.
Bernini's The Ecstasy of St Theresa
 The students and chaperons went off to shop and I went back to the hotel to rest my foot for a couple of hours. I must say that I do appreciate the hospitality of the Romans. The staff at our hotel has been so kind to me. They made me sandwiches at no charge and made sure my foot is taken care of...even housekeeping stops to ask if I'm okay. 
I rejoined our group at the Vatican, where our guide, Fabio, gave us a very informative tour. Tara and I were secretly hoping that Fabio would be big and buff with long flowing hair and a white unbuttoned shirt billowing in the breeze - not because we like that sort of thing (we don't!), but because it would have just been really funny. This Fabio was small, thin, had short hair, and a navy blue polo shirt with no breeze to billow it. Oh well.
There were several reactions to the Vatican. Many thought it was beautiful, and it is difficult to argue that fact. Some thought it overwhelming, which makes sense - it is HUGE. A few of us had a discussion as to how we had mixed feelings - both impressed and angered by its opulence. I personally could have stood at Michelangelo's Pieta all day. It is, to me, the most moving piece of art I have ever seen - but not from a religious perspective as much as from a mother's perspective. Seeing Mary hold/cradle her dead son brings me to tears. It is especially interesting to learn that pieta does not mean pity as many would assume. It actually means devotion. So, to see Michelangelo's masterpiece and contemplate the meaning of devotion on multiple levels is a beautiful thing.
Michelangelo's Pieta
Jennifer & Bill - St Peter's Square, Vatican
 I decided from here that I was ready to tackle Rome by foot, and so I walked to dinner, then to the metro, then to the hotel. Then I was ready for some Advil, ice and sleep!
But one last thought before I end this day's tales. The students of Lewisburg and Selinsgrove are no more. It's like they are the students of Selinsburg or Lewisgrove. The school divisions have disappeared. One student came to me and said they wished the trip would never end because they will really miss seeing their new friends every day. We reminded them that between texting and Facebook, they would still have contact. Besides, the two towns are not that far away! But it is great to see such great kids get along so well. They have made the trip a total pleasure!
"Selinsburg/Lewisgrove" Group in St Peter's Square, Vatican

No comments:

Post a Comment